Back then, people use shotgun mostly for self-defending purposes. When this kind of gun becomes more and more versatile and feature-rich, many people start using it for hunting. However, the most significant limitation is the shotgun can only shoot within a short distance.
“Does this remain true?” – Not anymore with the support of shotgun scope.
The benefits of the scope are a no-brainer:
In the concept of range, the scope supports a broader field of view than your naked eyes
Once capturing the targets, the scope increases the accuracy of shooting as you see the animals clear from a distance
In this post, we’ll introduce you to 5 best shotgun scopes and a bonus of buying guide.
Make The Long Review Short
|Product Name||Product Detail|
| Best for Close Range
EOTECH 512 Holographic Weapon Sight
● Compact and durable structure that is versatile for both slug, birdshot, and buckshot guns
● Excellent in boosting the accuracy in short range
● Best brightness control level
● Durable battery life
| Best for Budget
Monstrum S330P 3X Prism Scope
● Good for mid-range shooting
● Affordable price with exceptionally advanced features
● Durable design thanks to quality materials
● Compact and easy-to-mount structure
● Etched reticles, along with multiple brightness level adjustment
| Best Durable Scope
TRUGLO 4 x 32mm Compact
● Excellent at short or mid-range hunting
● Full-coated lenses to ensure the quality of images
● Durable structure
● Easy turret adjustment
● Affordable price
| Best for Both Shotgun and Rifle Scope
Simmons 517793 Prodiamond
● 4x magnification to widen the shooting range
● Multi-coated lenses to improve the quality of image
● Advanced TrueZero and QTA eyepieces
| The Runner-up Scope for both Shotgun and Rifle
● Adjustable magnification
● Circle-x reticle and fast-focus system to shoot more properly
● Fully multi-coated lens to improve the light transactions and the scope’s durability
● Additional advanced features
5 Best Shotgun Scopes
1. EOTECH 512 Holographic Weapon Sight
This holographic sight is a perfect add-on to your shotgun in case you target something near and need a significantly accurate focus.
The most exciting about the holographic technology developed by EOTech is that the scope supports a very high aiming accuracy of all sizes without magnification.
Instead, there are a 68 MOA circle and an internal 1 MOA red dot in the reticle to confirm your shot with the inherent fire for a close-range target. Notably, the red dot still works well with a powerful slug shotgun since the scope is built with shockproof and even the waterproof.
As a plus, the scope offers up to 20 brightness levels so that you can correct the brightness according to the hunting environments. In other words, you can expect bright and good-contrast images, even in the low-light conditions.
This holographic scope also beats other types of shotgun scope when it comes to a light design of 11 ounces. It does not weigh your gun down, and you can focus on your target animals.
Beneficial as the EOTech 512 is, there are still several points that you should put into mind.
Firstly, this scope is not suitable to shoot within a distant range, beyond 30 yards, as there is no magnification. Secondly, the red dot might scare animals away in the dead of night.
- Compact and lightweight structure to not affect your shooting
- Versatile for both slug, birdshot, and buckshot guns
- Excellent in boosting the accuracy in short range
- Durable battery sources compared to other powered scopes
- No magnification for further shooting-range
- Visible light in night vision
EOTech 512 is the best choice for the shotgun as long as your target is within a close range. Otherwise, scroll down for more options.
2. Monstrum S330P 3X Prism Scope
The shotgun is not only for short range if you know the right way to strengthen your gun’s features with an optic. Here comes Monstrum S330P 3X for mid-range shooting up to 500 yards. The eye relief of 3.5’’ makes it comfortable to target animals, even with both eyes.
What we like about this prism scope is its excellence at focusing the lights on a particular point, which supports better optical quality without sacrificing the big size like others using an objective lens.
What’s more, the S330P 3X has etched black reticles with green or red crosshairs – suitable for tactical shooting at night or in low-light conditions. Not to mention, the scope allows multiple brightness levels thanks to the anti-reflective coating lens. Say goodbye to glare and hello to sharp and focus images.
The scope is also ultra compact and easy to mount and operate with the shotgun.
However, you had better be careful as the scope cannot handle too powerful recoil. And, the illuminated reticle eats up the battery very quickly.
- Good for mid-range shooting
- Affordable price with exceptionally advanced features
- Durable design thanks to quality materials
- Compact and easy-to-mount structure
- Etched reticles, along with multiple brightness level adjustment
- Possible to break if the recoil is too strong
- Quick consumption of power
All in all, hardly any prism scope can beat with scope for both price and feature richness.
3. TRUGLO 4 x 32mm Compact
This scope is designed with the shotgun and rimfire in mind. The magnification is 4x, coming with an objective lens of 32mm – far enough for short-range and mid-range hunting projects.
The durable structure is the most favorable feature making the Truglo 4x32mm outstanding as one of the best shotgun scopes.
All body is covered with grade aluminum and nitrogen-sealed so you can expect the scope to be waterproof, shockproof, and scratch-resistant. The finish is even non-reflective matte black finish in order not to scare any small targets away.
There is also a rubber eye guard on the eyepiece to bring the most comfortable experiences and not to cause any eye sorts.
The diamond reticle is also excellent. It allows fast action and accurate focus. Besides, the full-coated lenses can transmit as much light as possible to ensure the crisp sight and contrasted images.
Durable as it is, the length of the scope can weight down your shotgun.
- Excellent at short or mid-range hunting
- Full-coated lenses to ensure the quality of images
- Durable structure
- Easy turret adjustment
- Affordable price
- Bulky size and length
The scope gets the shotgun projects done despite not possessing fantastic features like expensive ones. Worth for your money!
4. Simmons 517793 Prodiamond
You can find the Simmons 517793 scope available on almost every best shotgun scope review. This is for good reasons.
Firstly, the durability is not a problem with the 517793 scope. The lenses are multi-coated with HydroShield so that they are free of water and fog. The lights, then, go through the lenses quickly and effectively. In turn, the image is clear.
The magnification of 4x32mm and the ProDiamond reticle also enhances your shooting performance.
Interesting enough, the TrueZero system by the Simmons includes the elevation and windage that are adjustable by your fingers. You can lock onto the animals with a dead set accuracy. Even better, the SureGrip secures the non-slip grip seamlessly using the adjustment knobs.
The Quick Target Acquisition (QTA) eyepieces even bolster a comfortable eye relief of 4 inches.
None of the shotgun scopes is perfect in all aspects. This Simmons model isn’t, either. It is more substantial compared to most of the scopes in this review.
- 4x magnification to widen the shooting range
- Multi-coated lenses to improve the quality of the image
- Advanced TrueZero and QTA eyepieces
- Compatible for both shotgun and rifle
- Heavy for some gunshorts
To sum up, the Simmons 517793 is enough to add on both gun and rim rifle. Invest 1 for 2!
5. Bushnell Trophy
The last in today best shotgun scope review, but this is definitely not the least – especially when it comes from the reliable Bushnell.
Unlike other scopes on today list which have a fixed magnification, the Bushnell Trophy allows adjusting the magnification from 1.75 to 4x. This feature is handy as you might only use the shotgun for a near target. The small magnification means widening the field of view.
The circle-x reticle and fast-focus eyepiece, accomplished with fingertip windage and elevation system even work excellently to target the object in a breeze.
The image is edge-to-edge clarify thanks to the fully-coated optics and waterproof lens coating. The light can get through as much as 91%, even in harsh environments or dead of the night.
Included with a package of advanced features, this scope is far more expensive than other scopes here.
- Adjustable magnification
- Circle-x reticle and fast-focus system to shoot more properly
- Fully multi-coated lens to improve the light transactions and the scope’s durability
- Additional advanced features
What Is The Best Scope for Shotgun?
Which is the best shotgun scope is based on your purchasing requirements. Whether you look for short-range scope or you want to expand the view to further?
However, from our experience on price and feature, Monstrum S330P 3X Prism Scope seems to be the best choice.
It is not rich in features. However, the available features still get the job done. Not to mention, it is not so heavy that it affects the shooting.
Things to Consider When Choosing Shotgun Scope
Your purpose of using a shotgun
The very first question: what you use the scope for: home defend, turkey hunting, duck hunting, deer shooting, big game, or anything else?
If your target is far away and you want to see it in the very detail, then you had better buy the scope with high magnification. In case the animals move fast, a wide field of view is more important.
The load of shotgun
Different shotguns might have different loads, which affects the choice of scope. There are two typical loads:
- Slugs: You must make sure that the scope will not weaken the recoil of the powerful gun. For example, a variable 1-to-4 power scope is recommended for smooth bore slug.
- Buckshot: Buckshot shotgun is for closer distance; hence, a substantial red dot scope is more necessary for magnification.
The size of shotgun scope
The shotguns are usually powerful with different recoil levels. So, the scope must be firm and strong enough to cope with shock absorption.
At the same time, it shouldn’t be too bulky. Otherwise, you are hard to hold the gun stable while targeting the animals.
Scopes often do not go very cheap. However, there are several models to be less expensive than others.
Consider the features of scope carefully (digest the 5 best shotgun scopes we bring you above) and pick the one that suits your wallet, but ensure it is durable. The cheap scope might be fragile and even damage your shotgun.
FAQs about Shotgun Scope
1. Can I use a rifle scope to the shotgun?
Yes, you can as long as its structure is mountable with your shotgun. Besides, please ensure that the weight does not trigger the failed shooting.
Feel free the check some scopes in the list again. Some of them are for both shotgun and rifle.
2. Is the higher magnification is better?
If you want to use the shotgun to shoot further than its default range, then a high magnification is better.
However, the magnification becomes redundant if you shoot near.
3. What is illuminated cross reticle?
The reticle is essential for hunting. The standard reticle is red, which might scare the animals away.
For night vision, we recommend using the illuminated cross reticle. It is always visible without illumination or can be lit red/green to support better view at night and reduce the wildlife intrusion.
4. What batteries should I buy for shotgun scope?
It is always suggested that you use the batteries recommended by the manufacturer in their user guide or product pages.
If you can not find the information anywhere, you had better go for the long-lasting lithium battery.
5. Is the more expensive scope, the richer the feature list is?
Not always, you can still grab advanced features right in the affordable scope. Their low price does not mean low quality.
Check our review to get a cheap scope with fantastic features.
We have completed the best shotgun scope review. Have you picked the one for your next hunting journey? If not yet, feel free to contact us for further consultancy.